Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I heart Adele!

Last night Adele was on MTV Canada and I am in Love. She performed a few songs and chatted with the hosts about her newly released album, her love of country and hip hop as well as ex-boyfriends. Now usually when I watch these sorts of interviews I'm left thinking "I wonder what she's really like." This interview, however, made me feel like I have gotten to know Adele a bit. The interviews were short, and probably Adele knew the questions in advance but her answers seemed real and unrehearsed. She was shown a surprise clip from a teacher at her Alma matter (The Brit School) and she 'started blubbering' (her words not mine.) This reaction seemed really real to me and I felt like she had a connection with her teachers and that they liked her. I also get the feeling that Adele is a powerful woman and a good role model. I don't feel like she's like Taylor Swift or Hillary Duff who are really trying to be a good role model by following the path of what a stereotypically good girl is supposed to be. Having good role models too look to for guidence is important, not only for young girls but for grown women as well. Hochschild(1990) has argued that much of our gender ideology comes from a combination of relevent cultral ideals and personal experineces. I would argue that a role model, such as Adele, can provide positive cultural ideals. It's important to know that it is possible to be a strong, independent woman and be successful.  I really feel like Adele is successful because she is just being herself- a powerful, down to earth, level headed, soulful, sweet, smart woman.
Here are some of the reasons why I think Adele is a good role model, not just for girls but for all people.
1. She's not crazy into drugs or sex or money (or at least if she is, she fooled me.)
2. She's not selling herself as a sex symbol. She is a very beautiful woman but she's not defined by her status as a sex symbol (like many other female pop artists are. i.e. Britney, Xtina, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha etc.) I'm sure someone out there is thinking "that’s because she doesn't look like a sex symbol" i.e. she's not a size 2. But let’s remember Jennifer Hudson, who before her huge weight loss still marketed herself partially on her status as a sexy (albeit curvy) singer. I really get the feeling that Adele doesn’t care at all if people think she's sexy. (But maybe I'm being biased because I like her music so much.)
3. She's doesn’t use diminutive or strictly polite language. Adele said that the Brit school was in was "a shit area." She wasn't afraid to throw in slang or swears into the conversation and it seemed completely normal.  Hopper (2003) has suggested that women often speak in a more polite manner, avoiding swears and slang because it is less socially acceptable for women to swear than men. Others have suggested that people in positions of relatively less power tend to speak in a more polite manner because they can't risk being rude. Either way, Adele didn't come off rude, but she certainly didn't come off as a typical polite, sweet docile little girl that many (adult) pop stars do. (Contrast Adele to J.Lo, Mariah Carey or Britney Spears who are painfully polite and sweet all the time. Also you could contrast Adele to an Avril Lavigne who swears a lot but it still comes off as forced.)
4. She talked about past boyfriends and how they influenced/ treated her. The host asked her what her ideal man would be and she replied "like him [ex-boyfriend] but more respectful." Apparently Adele values being treated with respect which is such a great thing to say. I really hope that women and girls who look to her as a role model really take that to heart.
5. She likes country artists because she "immediately believes them." She also likes hip-hop because of the way that rappers manipulate words and the progression in the songs. I like that she just has something good to say about other genres of music that makes sense. (Unlike Britney Spears who has said she just likes whatever makes her want to move.)
6. She's got talent. Ok I guess having talent doesn't make you a good role model, but she's using her talent in a productive way, and that makes her a good role model. She writes her own lyrics, she works hard and she's grateful for the success she's received.

While Adele may not claim the Feminist label, I don't think many would object if I were to say that she embodies it. She is a hard working female who has yet to fulfill any female stereotypes. She may not be out championing for the rights of women, but she is setting a good example of how a successful woman can behave.

No comments:

Post a Comment